Monday, November 3, 2008

Restore Marriage: no on Prop 8

half formed thoughts, but strong feelings:

I'm a Christian, although for this post some will doubt, and yes that terrifies me, but I have to say something. I am voting no on Prop 8 precisely because I want to restore marriage and give it back it's meaning. In my heart this is how I must vote.

Prop 8 is a political issue, not a moral or spiritual one, and it's being used to divide voters and believers, the way Pharisees used the the Roman tax against Jesus. So if you want marriage to mean something more than political grandstanding, I suggest no on Prop 8.

and I believe that the whole anti-gay element in the church is in fact very deviant from Christ and Christianity.
i wrestle with this issue a lot
but in the end I keep coming to the conclusion that Jesus would be standing on other side from the church, with the homosexuals
while the church tries to rally against an easy target in order to unify its influence over its members the way bullies pick on kids.

and for us to AMEND our CONSTITUTION to exclude a class of people sounds like the most unchristian thing I have heard.

is homosexuality ruining family values and marriage in America? I point you to Desperate Housewives and Trading Spouses (among other heterosexual masterpieces) for the answer.

My coworker just got married, but faced the reality that CA voters would probably just null her marriage in a few weeks. She asked where all the money was coming from to break up her marriage. It broke my heart to tell her it was my church.

The meaning of marriage is that love can last, that two people can, by the strength of real caring love, publicly and privately commit to one another selflessly so as to become a greater whole. It is the belief that against other things, love is the greatest, and that against prevailing odds love will persevere. Proposition 8 flies in the face of this. Yes for marriage. Yes for gay marriage. No on prop 8.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://dmeroit.blogspot.com/2008/09/proposition-8-part-two.html

My rationale falls along the same line as the author's, but he articulates it far better than I would have.

Edwin said...

Thanks for that link. How I wish I had read this earlier! I too have had a hard time articulating my Christian misgivings about Prop 8. Seems like a cool blog too.

Anonymous said...

But of course! Tis written by a man I hold in highest regard (and you know 'im too ;) )

Unknown said...

...Man I am so proud of you.